Nevill Golf Club



Walking in the steps of giants.
It’s sometimes easy to take things for granted.

The Nevill golf club has always had a good reputation as a very good course but these things don’t just happen.
The course, established in 1914, was originally a nine hole course set down by Willie Park Junior (who designed Sunningdale Old Course amongst his 170 courses in Europe, the USA and Canada).

When the course was extended some years later, James Braid was engaged to design the new holes and when he created the second, some 550 yards, it was considered to be one of the longest holes of any course in the area. Amongst Braid’s courses are Carnoustie and Ballybunion. It is said that he was really enthusiastic the land he had to work with - as enthusiastic as any Scot could be! Harry Colt worked with James Braid in the late 19th century and it is recorded that he spent time at the Nevill in 1926 working with Braid.

Throughout the second world war, part of the course was commandeered by the War Office and was released back to the Club with some compensation which was spent on redesigning and rebuilding the course. In 1965, Henry Cotton, who had won three Opens and had captained the Ryder Cup squad, was commissioned to redesign and extend the course. It is this layout that is the basis of the course that exists today.
Willie Park Jnr, James Braid, Harry Colt and Henry Cotton all giants of golfing architecture and giants of the game of golf.

Enjoy your walk in the steps of giants.

Email: | Telephone No. - 01892 525818

Created by intelligentgolf version 10.1.2.